Central to LevelUp is an automatic system that recommends books to students at appropriate levels of understanding. It is based on the MetaMetrics® Lexile Framework for Reading, which determines both the reading difficulty of books and each child’s current reading level. Most early readers—or those who cannot read yet—are given a BR (beginning reader) prefix and assigned a numerical Lexile level after the
. More proficient readers might be assigned a 150L to 350L Lexile or higher depending upon reading proficiency.
Once a student’s starting reading level is determined, first books are recommended. Titles are recommended in a variety of subject areas, which appear on their
, in a range 100L points below to 50L points above their Lexile number. All of the high-quality digital books in the LevelUp library are aligned to the same Lexile Framework. This means that the books recommended are not difficult to the point of frustration, but are in an appropriate range so your child can understand the text and be provided with just enough of a challenge to promote reading growth.
In simple terms, the Lexile framework ensures that books recommended by LevelUp are just right—not too difficult, but not too easy. This assures that students are always presented with an individualized reading challenge.
Where LevelUp Uses Lexile Measures
LevelUp provides Lexile measures throughout both the student and teacher interfaces.
- Books’ Lexile measures appear under the book cover thumbnail on the bookshelf.
- Books’ Lexile measures appear under the book cover thumbnail in My Favorites.
- Students’ Lexile measures appear in My Reports.
- Books’ Lexile measures appear under the book cover thumbnail on the bookshelf tab.
- Books’ Lexile measures appear under the book cover thumbnail in My Collection.
- Books’ and/or students’ Lexile measures appear in the following sections in My Classroom:
- Class Roster
- Reading Groups
- Books’ and/or students’ Lexile measures appear throughout the data provided in Reports.
The video below provides more information about Lexile measures in LevelUp: